What type of insurance do you need?

There are three main types of car insurance to choose from, Third party, Third party fire and theft and finally Comprehensive cover.

Third Party and Third party fire and theft Third party is the minimum level of car insurance cover you must have by law. The next step up from this is Third party fire and theft. Both of these types of cover pay for damage caused to other people’s property and compensation for any injury they suffer if the accident was your fault. Third party insurance doesn’t cover the cost of repairs to your own vehicle. However, Third party fire and theft cover will pay for damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft or attempted theft.

Comprehensive cover Comprehensive car insurance covers the cost of accident damage to your vehicle including fire and theft losses. It also covers you from third party injury costs and damaged caused to other people’s property. It’s important not to assume that all comprehensive cover policies are the same. Make sure you check what each policy covers and the individual benefits that are on offer. With a comprehensive policy you can often add optional extras to tailor it to match your needs.

Looking for competitive car insurance deals?

We have teamed up with the guys at Confused.com to help get you the best deal on your car insurance. Simply click here now to compare deals from the UK's top car insurance companies to get you the best deal.

Popular brands